Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Cinco de Mayo aka tres days from the Mini

What started out as just Monday blues has progressed into a full-blown cold. I woke up this morning sounding absolutely terrible--nose and chest feeling all clogged up, bright red throat and swollen tonsils, and the worst stiffness/pain in my neck. If you know me, you know how rarely I get sick. In the past year and nine months that I've been at my current job, I've only taken a half day off for being sick. So it figures that the once-in-a-blue-moon time that I catch something, it WOULD be the week before the mini. Honestly, I think it's just pure exhaustion that spurred this one.

We all know about the classic phases of stress: alarm, resistance, and then exhaustion. In college this would always happen to me around finals week. I would work so hard and be under so much stress. I would finish strong and earn the grades I wanted, but then immediately after, I would fall sick and when I came home for breaks it was like I could sleep for almost 3 days straight. In this case, my body has been under a significant amount of physical stress (which is usually what you want to do for results) with my dramatically increased running and also going through a spurt of teaching more group fitness classes than normal. Besides the group fitness, as I've mentioned before, work has been busier for me lately than it has been in quite a while. Usually my workload ebbs and flows: it is pretty hectic around the first of the month as we roll out new programs and turn in reports from the previous month, then I would have about 2 weeks of a lessened work load. Now, it's always busy with all the events we are gearing up for. My to-do list for this week looks like pure insanity, and even if most of the projects are enjoyable and worthwhile things, they still require work. Yesterday I pulled a 12.5 hour day, waking up at 4:30, as I made an early morning trip down to Lilly's corporate fitness center to observe the awesome boot camp that they run down there. The rest of my day was non-stop up until I left at 6:45pm. At the end of last night, I was starting to tell that what I had thought was allergies was definitely something more, so now we're back to this morning where all the cold symptoms hit me full-force.

I got to sleep in since I don't have to be in to work until 12 today, to make up for yesterday's long hours. The first 3 hours of my day will be spent working on boot camp "lesson plans" so at least I can stay in one place and focus on one task. Thank God for the promise of a lighter work load for one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment