Friday, March 26, 2010

Clarification

I wanted to clarify that caffeine in and of itself is NOT bad for exercise. It actually has many benefits when the right amount is consumed before a workout (as a co-worker pointed out to me yesterday.) In my blogs I've only been preaching about the harmful effects of too much before a workout, but I don't want to discredit caffeine completely. They say, if you are used to drinking a morning coffee, then it's actually beneficial to do the same on the morning of a race. (I did that last year before the mini.)

A recent article from Shape magazine:
"Q: Is it harmful to drink coffee before I exercise?
A: Not at all. In fact, it can actually improve your performance. Caffeine makes you more alert and may help you workout longer or at a harder intensity. In an Australian study, runners who ingested caffeine before at 5K shaved 10 to 12 seconds off their finish times. Other research published in the Journal of Sports Sciences found that cyclists who downed a dose of caffeine before a sprint felt less leg pain and had a lower rate of perceived exertion. For optimal benefits, drink up to 45-60 minutes before a workout and stay under 150 milligrams. That's 12 ounces of coffee, up to 24 ounces of tea, or 17 ounces of Red Bull." March 2010 issue, pg. 130

For reference, I had about 20 ounces of coffee that morning :O

Pro: Energy boost and less feelings of pain/fatigue
Con: Dehydrates your cells and could cause a dangerously high heart rate/blood pressure.
As long as you're drinking the right amount to reap the benefits and not slip into any of the "cons" then drink up!

2 comments:

  1. I'm jealous, I wish I could be as disciplined to train daily. BUT - I have never done a mini before and this year will be my first.

    Also - Coffee: I have always wondered about that and I'm glad you posted about it. I cannot survive without a mug every morning (or four, if i'm working on an article). I always find myself weighing the negative aspects of caffeine versus having a normal, usual routine that my body is used to. Your post has answered my doubts and balanced my speculation. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing the Indy mini??

    And hey, glad I could help :)

    ReplyDelete